United Kingdom

If my dentist hasn't referred me to a periodontist, is it safe to assume that while it's a serious issue that need to be treated, it's not advanced?

Dr. Daniel Quon
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 43 years experience
Not necessarily: Some dentists offer a wide range of services and may elect to treat their patients' periodontal problems themselves, instead of referring to a periodontist. Other dentists may refer all of their patients with periodontal problems to a periodontist, regardless of the severity. The decision to refer or not refer will depend on the skill level, experience and comfort level of the individual dentist.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Don't assume...: Ask your dentist to explain your current situation and what the prognosis is. Referral is not an indication of severity.
Last updated Jun 5, 2014