Columbus, OH

if child has jra can she have tmj and not actually have arthritis in her jaw? what are symptoms of both?

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Probably not: There are other causes of TMJ pain but its presence in a child with jra almost always means the TMJ pain is related to the underlying arthritic condition.
Dr. Marc Newman
Dentistry 10 years experience
Possibly: It's possible a child could have a parafunctional habit causing jaw pain that is separate from jra, but i would guess the jaw pain is related to the jra. Jra has a high propensity for hands, feet and knee involvement. It can also involve the temporomandibular joint (tmj). I'd consult with the treating doctor and possibly a pediatric dentist. http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/juv_arthritis/.
Dr. Robert Lowe
Pediatric Rheumatology 17 years experience
Not very likely: Tmj arthritis occurs in up to 70% of kids with jia/jra. Most don't even have any symptoms. Highly likely jaw pain is on ominous sign of not just active TMJ arthritis but progressing with damage already present. We screen all kids diagnosed with jia/jra with a TMJ MRI with contrast and treat with steroid injections into TMJ if positive for active arthritis. No way to tell between the two w/o mri.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Possible but: Possible but probable JRA of TMj. MRI scan and or Cone Beam CT will help differentiate. Symptoms can bi similar. See a TMJ specialist. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.