Md writes that ultherapy treats the same foundation layer that facelift surgery does without the risk, recovery & downtime. true? new gold standard?

20 doctors weighed in across 8 answers

I'm sorry, not true!: I am not sure who wrote that but I am sure it is someone who owns and is paying the lease on an ultherapy machine. This is not a substitute for a facelift, most current facelift techniques treat the deeper layers of thef face called the smas. Ultherapy is unlikely to truly tighten the smas. It may supplement the results but is far different in results from a facelift.

Answered 9/22/2013

5k views

Dr. Barry Press answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Not really: A facelift will reposition the soft tissues of the face to a more youthful position. The current emphasis is much more on fat repositioning than fat removal. A facelift will not treat fine wrinkles in the skin. Surface treatments such as skin care, peels, and laser treatments will do this, but will do nothing about sagging soft tissues like a surgical facelift. They are not the same.

Answered 3/25/2023

5k views

No: In a facelift the anatomical layers that loosen are lift, tightened, trimmed and replaced. Over the healing phase they then get held into place by new collagen formation. Nothing else does what a facelift does.

Answered 3/27/2014

5k views

Ultherapy : No, it is not the new gold standard. It is good for patients with only mild laxity of skin. For an aging face that has jowl formation, loose neck skin, the gold standard is a facelift.

Answered 10/14/2014

5k views

No way: The gold standard for facial rejuvenation is a facelift. Period. Non-invasive treatments like ulthera are sexy and appealing but certainly not gold standard...Or even bronze standard. Don't believe the hype.

Answered 3/17/2015

4.9k views

No: No magic. Limited effectiveness on tightening tissues. Not even in same league as surgery.

Answered 10/14/2014

4.9k views

Dr. Maurice Sherman answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Not True !!: Since I have an Ulthera but also perform facelifts, I speak honestly when I say that the Ulthera does not replace the facelift. Ulthera penetrates only 4.5 mm deep, and lasts only 1 to 1and1/2 years. A facelift effect can last for 10 to 12 years and effects tissue much deeper than Ulthera. Newer facelift techniques are safer, with faster recovery times (less than a week) & look perfectly natural.

Answered 9/15/2018

3.8k views

Facelift: while ultgerapy may result in some "tightening" it cannot replicate the effects of a facelift. Surgery remains the gold standard.

Answered 10/31/2014

3.6k views