how do u decide what type of blood pressure med to give a patient?

Dr. Bac Nguyen
It depends: Certain patient needs (or benefit from) one type of blood pressure more than other..I.E, a diabetic patient is recommended to have and should be prescribed an angiotensin-converting-enzyme inbitor type unless he/she has contraindication for it, such as an allergy to it. Another example: a anxious patient with high heart rate may benefit from a beta-blocker such as metoprololetc..So, it depends.
Dr. Francine Yep
Good Fit For You: Not everyone wears the same shoe. Same thing goes for blood pressure medicines. The right fit for you depends on: [1] any other problems you may have [like diabetes, heart or kidney problems], [2] your ethnic group, [3] other rx you're taking, and [4] side effects you've had before. Talk with your doc about the best fit for you & what your concerns are. One size does not fit all. Good luck!
Dr. Katharine Garnier
I also tell my patients that, just like shoes, you may need to try a few on before finding the medicine that fits "you"...without side effects, and works to get your blood pressure controlled. Just like all shoes for you may not be a size 7, we will find one that fits YOU just right!
Feb 22, 2012
Dr. Joseph Rosin
Experience: This skill is developed through education and experience. Using clinical information such as the patient's history, physical and necessary tests, an experienced physician uses analytical judgement and well developed intuition to begin treatment. It then follows on how well the patient responds. BP will need to be controlled and side effects prevented or tolerated. That's what you pay for.
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna commented
I agree with Dr Rosins.But i can add that there are many BP medicines in different groups with different mode of action.The prescription for the drugs is usually based on age,other coexisting condition like Diabetes,heart disease,Brochial Asthma,EKG findings including the rhythm, rate, ethnicity of the patient and then a decision is made and close follow up to see effectiveness and side effects
Apr 1, 2012
Dr. Shabbir Hossain
Individualized: There are many options to treat blood pressure. The choices should be individualized based on several factors. Other medical conditions, side effects, cost to name a few.