A member asked:

Now that i have renal parenchymal disease as seen in my kub ultrasound, how many years do i still have to live? i'm only 36. i'm so sad to know this.

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Joseph Accurso answered

Specializes in Radiology

Need more info ...: Before you become more anxious. Yes, it is true that increased renal echogenicity on us can indicate medical renal disease. But - that imaging finding needs to be correlated with laboratory tests of renal function and review of other diseases and medicines the patient may have. Please see your doctor and ask about this finding. A consult with a nephrologist (kidney specialist) may be useful.

Answered 9/21/2016


Dr. Jack Rubin answered

Specializes in Nephrology and Dialysis

Renal disease: You should see a nephrologist for a 24 hour urine collection. An ultrasound reading is subjective and may vary from radiologist to radiologist. A 24 hour urine will get you a objective reading of how well, or poorly, your kidneys are working. Blood work taken by that doctor may also give a diagnosis of the cause of your kidney disease and provide a way to start its treatment. Good luck.

Answered 3/1/2015



Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor