Had lower rt wisdom tooth extracted 3 months ago using local. tooth impacted took 1 1/2 hours to remove. swollen still, clicking jaw, stuffy ears tmj?

13 doctors weighed in across 7 answers
Dr. Kenneth Grossman answered

Specializes in Endodontics

Difficult impaction: Sounds like it was a severe impaction. I would recommend seeing an oral surgeon to get re- evaluated and ck for post -op complications.

Answered 3/21/2015

5.1k views

Dr. Mark Birnbach answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

TMJ: The muscles and ligaments around the tm joint might have been stretched and otherwise traumatized. Please see the person that took out the teeth for an evaluation and treatment.

Answered 7/5/2015

5.1k views

Dr. Duane Keller answered

Specializes in

Problems still: Swelling is the tissue response to an injury or infection. I would check with your dentist to see which of these exists. The clicking indicates you have a problem inside the joint and since the back of the joint shares structures with the ear, there may be a relationship there as well. That will require a more comprehensive evaluation and treatment as TMJ problems don't cure themselves.

Answered 3/21/2015

5k views

Dr. Gregory LaMorte answered

Specializes in Periodontics

Reevaluation: You need a reevaluation of that area. It is unusual to be swollen that long. You may have another problem brewing.

Answered 3/21/2015

5k views

Dr. David Chrisman answered

Specializes in Dentistry - Cosmetic

TMJ most likely: Clicking joints are indicative of a disk movement or displacement. If your jaw clicks on opening and you can feel a slight clunk on closing this is termed a disk displacement with reduction and indicates that your jaw is out of position when you teeth are together and you disk goes back into position when you open. You will most likely need TMJ therapy from a trained dentist to resolve it.

Answered 3/21/2015

5k views

Dr. Louis Gallia answered

Specializes in Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

Might be TMJ: Because it took 90 minutes, I'm sure it wasn't an oral surgeon. You may have TMJ. See TMJ expert. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.

Answered 3/21/2015

3.1k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

TMJ after surgery: TMJ pain or soreness are very common and may occur after the removal of complicated impacted wisdom teeth. See your surgeon for evaluation and treatment options.

Answered 4/12/2020

3.1k views