United Arab Emirates

i do scaling and polishing every 3 month for my teeth .is that ok or doing this wil damage the enamel ? plz clarify

Dr. Sten Ericson
Dentistry 13 years experience
No Harm at All: Enamel is extremely resistant to forces like the ones during a normal dental hygiene appt (not so resistant to other forces, though). Having this done 4 times a year is very normal protocol for many, if not most, adults, and will only help you maintain your oral health and subsequently lessen the amount of bacteria and inflammation in your body.
Dr. Peter Karsant
Dentistry 39 years experience
No Problem: You will not hurt anything however be sure your dentist uses a less abrasive polishing paste especially if you do not have significant stain and please be sure to do y our home care as this 3 month regimen is no substitute for daily brushing for at least five minutes once a day and flossing.
Dr. Paul Brand
Dentistry 37 years experience
Good to know: This is a service that some patients need, because they have gum conditions that are not healthy if longer intervals occur between hygiene visits. It should not damage your enamel, as long as there is judicious use of the polishing agent (prophy paste), and it is not "coarse" (this removes stain more easily, but can be too aggressive on the enamel if used all the time). Ask for non-coarse paste.