Simpsonville, KY

recently dx'd w/congenital bowel malrotation@42 yrs old. not pregnant presently. what about pregnancy with bowel malrotation is risky for both me/baby

Dr. Matthew Wilson
Bowel obstruction: There are limited data to try to predict what pregnancy will do to you, but the most likely pregnancy outcome in your situation is a normal pregnancy and delivery. Notwithstanding, as the uterus grows, there is risk that your mal-rotated bowels could become occluded or lose their blood supply which can become a life-threatening emergency. Anything that puts your life at risk puts baby's as well.
Dr. Gregory Robertson
General Surgery 36 years experience
Perhaps: Malrotation typically predisposes to 2 complications: duodenal obstruction by ladd's bands, or mesenteric volvulus of the small bowel due to the very narrow base of the mesentery. Pregnancy doesn't increase the risk, but if either occurs, the x-ray evaluation may harm the fetus (1st trimester in particular), and a volvulus could be catastrophic for both mother & fetus.