U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
East Peoria, IL
A 22-year-old female asked:

I have recently been treated for pid of unknown origin. my symptoms are back. will i have to undergo iv therapy? should my fiance be treated?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jane Van Dis
Obstetrics and Gynecology 19 years experience
Possibly: If you're been treated for pid before and you have it again, you may or may not need IV therapy, depending on your clinical picture. You should definitely see a physician right away to determine the type of antibiotic treatment you need. Your partner should also be treated. Pid can cause scarring and infertility, so definitely be seen as soon as possible.
Dr. Jaime Marks
13 years experience
It depends: I am sorry that your symptoms are back. If you have pelvic inflammatory disease (pid)you should notify all of your partners so that they can be treated. You should see your physician to repeat testing for sexually transmitted infections as there could be other causes for your symptoms. If positive your fiance should be treated. Whether you need IV or not will depend on the cause and severity.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 49-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 44-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Jun 10, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.