Orthopedic surgery question-----what do you think of a biologic knee replacement? on you tube : bioknee.com

8 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Blake Miller answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Only a small subset: I watched the video and it's a hybrid procedure between a microfracture surgery and a modified osteochondral autograft procedure. Both of these procedures have guarded results and are reserved for acute cartilage injuries, not for fulminant arthritis with changes in mechanical alignment. Unfortunately, for your age group, there are very few individuals that would benefit from this procedure.

Answered 1/20/2018

5.1k views

Dr. Christian Foglar answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Bioknee: A meniscus replacement is unproven experimental and has very few indications. Although dr stone is a pioneer in that field advertising meniscus replacement and cartilage paste as an alternative for a total knee replacement is potentially misleading unless you are young and fullfill certain criteria. One needs more info on your particular condition and a more thorough discussion.

Answered 1/20/2018

5.1k views

Dr. John Ayres answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

It depends on knee: It depends on the overall condition of your knee based on MRI or arthroscopic findings. If your articular cartilage is pretty good then an "oats" or "aci" procedure works well, although after age 50 an oats is probably the better option of the two. If the damage is too extensive for an oats, then an osteotomy or partial replacement may be necessary.

Answered 1/20/2018

5.1k views

Dr. Mark Galland answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Biologic Knee: Holds tremendous promise the science is encouraging and seems sound the individual elements of the technique have been around for some time their combination in this manner is unique and potentially ground breaking more research is needed to determine its true place in our current armamentarium vs knee osteoarthritis.

Answered 1/20/2018

5.1k views