Lenoir, NC

I have had anxiety and stress for most of my life. (i'm 38) do i have an increased chance of alzheimer's or dementia when i get older?

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 37 years experience
I don't think so: I have never heard of any increased risk in the anxiety disorder population. But it is certainly a good idea to work on reducing your anxiety symptoms now so that you reduce all the other physical illnesses that are very associated with a life of stress and anxiety. Psychotherapy does work and there are medications that some people find helpful. Get help so that you live a long good life.
Dr. Steven Croft
Neurology 36 years experience
Not aware of it: I am not aware of any association between longstanding anxiety or stress and alzheimer's.
Dr. Maureen Nash
Geriatric Psychiatry 25 years experience
No: There is no eviidence anxiety increases your risk of alzheimer's or dementia. Exercise has the most evidence as a protective factor.

Last updated Apr 20, 2017