O Fallon, MO

Is dementia/alzheimer's a disease of modern times or always been around. i don't ever want to get it when i'm old anything i can do to lower risk?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Neurology 34 years experience
Hopefully you won't: ....have anything to worry about by the time you get up to the typical age when people start having degenerative changes in their brains leading to AD. Hopefully, we will either have a vaccine, medication, or be able to do brain transplants to correct the problems! Yes, it's existed since the dawn of time though it was only named a century ago. Lots of things u can do now but none proven to work
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Neurology 34 years experience
Provided original answer
BTW young man...I don't wan you to think that the difference between an Alzheimer's brain and Normal brain is that one is White and the other is Brown! Seriously, I'm sure somebody might get that impression. Can you tell me which of the above brains in the picture is the NORMAL and which is the diseased? And then, tell me what it is you see that makes one normal compared to the abnormal.
Dec 19, 2014
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Neurology 34 years experience
Provided original answer
And if you get all my questions right tell me who your biology/science teacher is and I will personally contact them and see that you get some extra points this quarter for being so incredibly smart and motivated since you've at least read all these messages.
Dec 19, 2014
Dr. Eric Weisman
Neurology 37 years experience
Judging by the sparing of the pre and post central Gyri I would deduce that the brain on the left is the white brain.
Dec 20, 2014