got tooth pulled now bad breath is it abcessed?

Dr. Scott Smith
Specializes in Periodontics
Possibly: Often times when a tooth is removed the dentist will not suture the gum tissue over the socket. Food can gather in that socket and create a bad smell. Infection can occur, although rarely, which will also cause a bad smell. You need to see your dentist to make sure you do not have infection. Rinse with warm salt water a few times a day until you get there.
Dr. Joel Piehl
Periodontics 51 years experience
Dead tissue or food : Sometimes the socket where the tooth was might contain some dead tissue or food debris. Gentle irrigation with warm water may help though doing this right after the extraction could promote bleeding.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Several things: It could be food trapped and decaying in the socket, an infection, or simply poor oral hygiene as many patients do not adequately brush and floss after surgery or extractions for many reasons- they are sore and don't feel good, are afraid to brush near the surgical area thinking that they will do damage, or have some bleeding or soreness when they do and avoid proper home care. See your dentist.