Ashland, OH

Have a bad infection of my teeth. dentist gave me amoxicillin 3x daily and forgot to take last pill last night. face is swollen today. is this normal?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
No: Swelling is not normal. Continue on the antibiotics and call your dentist for advice. He\she will probably want to see you asap for an evaluation.
Dr. Gustavo Ruiz de Castilla
Periodontics 32 years experience
Tooth abscess: Sometimes, even taking antibiotics, oral infections do not resolve. The fact that you forgot to take the last pill may not have prevented the swelling. You need to go back to your dentist to have your infection reassessed. I may be just a matter of giving you a different antibiotic. You need to be more specific "bad infection of my teeth", could mean a lot of different diseases.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
Keep yr appointment: Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose. A tooth infection won't go away without treatment and the infection may spread to your jaw, cheeks, sinus and to other areas of your body. Dentist will treat a tooth abscess by treating the cause and getting rid of the infection. See your dentist ASAP for tooth infection treatment.

Last updated Mar 22, 2020