Are there any anticonvulsants that consistently do not cause cognitive deficits? i would use for migraine. i can't handle topamax (topiramate).

8 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. William Newton answered

Specializes in Pain Management

All have side effect: This is tough since all medications that work on the nerves and brain directly can have cognitive side effects. This process takes a lot of trial and error to find the best medication or combination with the least side effects. Be patient and discuss with your doc.

Answered 12/24/2020

5.1k views

Dr. Steven Bender answered

Specializes in Dentistry

No: There are some of these agents that will have fewer side affects than others but they all have the potential to produce cognative deficits. In some cases zonisamide, which is very similar to topiramate, will be as effective and carry fewer advrse events. Talk to your doctor about the issues you are having.

Answered 3/21/2015

5.1k views

Dr. Peter Certo answered

Specializes in Dentistry

I prefer Fioricet (acetaminophen butalbital and caffeine): Over my 20 yr career, i've always prescribed fioricet/fiorinol for migraines. Fioricet contains tylenol (acetaminophen), (acetaminophen) caffeine and butalbital. Fiorinol has aspirin, not tylenol (acetaminophen). For me, it is the butalbital is the most important ingredient: it is a mild barbiturate. Besides treating patients for 20 with this drug, my mother & daughter will tell you nothing works as well in eliminating their migraines.

Answered 5/6/2016

5.1k views