what other brain disorders can the msafp screening identify?

Dr. Sheila Goodman
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Openings in spine: Msafp is specifically designed to find pregnancies at risk for openings in the spine or brain. These can range from a minor dimple at the base of the spine to a lack of brain tissue called anencephaly. AFP has also been combined with 3 other chemicals in the quad screen to look for increased risk of down's syndrome and 2 other genetic problems that have severe retardation.
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Maternal-Fetal Medicine 47 years experience
MSAFP: The msafp is a screen for an open neural tube abnormality in the fetus. It identifies spina bifida, which can also cause hydrocephalus. It also is a screen for Down syndrome and trisomy 18, both of which affect the brain.