A 23-year-old female asked about a 34-year-old female:

I have been prescribed seroquel (quetiapine) for sleep, it seems to work like a charm, but the cost is during the day i my personality seems blunted, what now?

Dr. Christopher Wilson
Sleep Medicine 21 years experience
Ask your doc: Ask your doc about lowering the dose or trying a different med. Or ideally getting off sleeping pills all together (there's ways).
In my practice I try to avoid the "big guns" for sleep when possible.
May 11, 2013
Dr. Mara Fiorentino
Using Trazodone would be a possibility.
May 11, 2013
Dr. Shirley Dickinson
Sleep Medicine 37 years experience
Seroquel is not a good medicine to assist with sleep if your only problem is difficulty with sleep onset or sleep maintenance, i.e. insomnia. Trazodine is also not the best medicine to assist with sleep. It is not a sleeping pill, but an antidepressant (older one) that has a side effect of causing one to become drowsy and/or sleepy. One an individual is having problems with sleep, it is always best for your physician to spend some time with you to determine what is the cause of your insomnia. Is it related to sleep onset, sleep maintenance or both. Is it a side effect of another problem - medicines, or other medical issue (sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, anxiety, depression, ....). Based on your history and physical exam your physician should be able to develop a more appropriate diagnosis and treatment plan that may or may not include medication. I would suggest you see you can be seen by a sleep disorders specialist who can hopefully provide you with more information re: insomnia and a more comprehensive and appropriate treatment plan.
May 11, 2013

Last updated Mar 29, 2014