Egypt

can i use crest 3d whitening strips after i get my crown done is it ok? or it will harm my teeth? thanks for your time and help :)

Dr. Bruce Pope
Dentistry 45 years experience
Yes you can: Yes you can but your natural teeth will get whiter than your crown.
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 36 years experience
Lighten first: If you want to whiten yor teet do it before your crown. Once the crown is made it will not change. Make sure you talk to your dentist about this before the crown is made so it will look the way you want it to.
Dr. Allan Hawryluk
Dentistry 19 years experience
Yes....but...: Ideally it is better to use the white strips before the crown is put on and not after because crowns do not whiten with the use of bleach. However, if your crown is not in a visible area and the tooth crowned is not overly sensitive, the crest strips may be fine to use. I would consult your dentist first.
Dr. Oleg Borshch
Cosmetic Dentistry 24 years experience
Probably OK, but ...: If the crown is already placed within your "smile zone" (is visible when you smile) and matches perfectly the shade of your other teeth, any whitening product will whiten your natural teeth but not the crown, and may result in a noticeable difference in shade. If the crown, however, is slightly brighter than the rest of your teeth, some whitening can actually remedy the problem.
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dentistry 43 years experience
Unwanted shade : Your dentist probably spent considerable time working to match the shade of your new crown to the existing shade of your teeth. Using white strips or any whitening product will by its nature whiten your teeth. If your new crown shows when you talk or smile, white strips will change the adjacent natural teeth, but the crown will stay the same shade. If the crown doesn't show when smiling, bleach!
Dr. Dennis Cufone
Dentistry 32 years experience
temporary: Crest white strips are good for temporary whitening, like for a wedding or event. Since you control how long you wear them, you can stop if you start to notice a mismatch, and it wont last forever!
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dr. Jerry Hu answered
Cosmetic Dentistry 23 years experience
Whitening: If you do whitening after your crown is completed, you need to first be prepared to know that the color of your crown will not change, and if you bleach/whiten too much, you can surpass the 'whiteness' of your crown if you selected a whiter crown to begin with. Sometimes if there's no urgent infection, breakdown/ fracture or decay, it may be better to have whitening done before the crown.
Products: Healthtap Doctors are asked not to endorse specific brands or product lines.

Last updated Sep 23, 2018