U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 24-year-old female asked:

On 5/4, i was sparring at a karate tournament and my ankle hit my partner's knee. my ankle became bruised and swollen and it hurts to walk and touch it. what should i do?

3 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Donald Alves
Emergency Medicine 25 years experience
Duration suggests...: ...Possible problem. Just cannot say if bone bruise or fracture over internet. Likely best to go to urgent care for exam and x-ray to be sure do not need more specific orthopedic treatment.
Dr. Steven Sheskier
Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery 40 years experience
Contusion vs fractur: Most likely just a contusion . Elevate , ice and rest for a few days. Will slowly resolve. If however, you hit with great force, heard/felt a "snap" and aurere unable to walkon it an xray is in order to rule out a more severe injury like a fracture.
Dr. Thomas Inwood
Podiatry 36 years experience
Sparring: This was quite a while ago. You should seek medical care and x rays.
Last updated Dec 26, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.