I occasionally have a sharp stabbing pain behind my left breast and feel it in the front and back. i have to take shallow breaths until it passes. if i try to take a deep breath the pain is excruciating. it passes after a few shallow breaths. it can happe

6 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. William Walsh answered

Specializes in Addiction Medicine

Pneumothorax or...: It sounds as though you may be having small spontaneous pneumothoraces, which is air escaping from the lung into the space between the lung and the chest wall. If not this then you may be having recurrent pleurisy from an unclear cause. In either case, you should see a physician, and probably a pulmonologist if your internist can not get to the bottom of it.

Answered 11/28/2013

6.1k views

Dr. Creighton Wright answered

Specializes in surgery

Be seen: Need full history and exam and testing to determine cause too nonspecific to suggest cause but sounds more pulmonary, pleuritic but there are significant causes in the list!

Answered 11/28/2013

5k views