Treatment for ibs?

Dr. Swati Avashia
Internal Medicine and Pediatrics 23 years experience
Underlying Causes: For irritable bowel syndrome, an important part of treatment is finding and addressing triggers. The exact cause of ibs is unknown but sleep deprivation, anxiety, stress, hormonal fluctuations, or certain foods may be triggers. Keep a diary to determine your triggers. Also talk with your doctor, there are several medications that can help with the symptoms.
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Geriatrics 40 years experience
None: There is no cure for irritable bowel syndrome. If the predominance is colic pain or diarrhea some drs prescribe anticholinergics like bentyl, (dicyclomine) opiates or atropinics ( donnatal) in pts above 65 they are risky. Check this x details :http://www.Mayoclinic.Com/health/irritable-bowel-syndrome/ds00106/dsection=treatments-and-drugs.
Dr. Michio Abe
Depends: There are different types of ibs, and there are different ways you can treat them. Some have diarrhea-predominant ibs, some constipation-predominant, some pain-predominant, some mixed. Should see a doctor 1st. Many meds can help, like Amitriptyline for diarrhea and Levsin (hyoscyamine) for pain. Avoid your triggers such as dairy products, caffeine, alcohol, and fatty foods. Increase fiber and try probiotics.
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Many: The treatments for irritable bowel syndrome (ibs) are many. They can include prescription anti-spasmotics, dietary changes, biofeedback, etc. Many treatments are directed at the symptoms one experiences: anti-diarrheal medications for diarrhea, stool softeners for constipation, etc. Best to discuss these treatments with your family doctor or internist to see what is best for your ibs.
Dr. Colton Bradshaw
Specializes in Pediatrics
New answers arising: Ibs (irritable bowel syndrome) is a common malady. While no absolute cure is available, new evidence suggests that more can be done now for symptom relief and control than ever before. Many sufferers of ibs find the use of certain "probiotics" an effective resource in combating & managing the symptoms. A gastroenterologist can discuss these new findings & advise you on newer developments. Call now.
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Colon and Rectal Surgery 42 years experience
Diet and fluids: I rarely prescribe meds for ibs. In my experience teaching people to eat and drink properly resolves most if not all symptoms when the patient is compliant and follows through. Hi fiber, 80-100 ounces non caffeine, non alcoholic beverages each day, regular meal times, excercise. Consistency is the key to being symptom free.
Dr. Nikhil Karanth
Gastroenterology 23 years experience
Numerous: Fiber, dietary and lifestyle discretion, and certain medications based on type of ibs
Dr. Alvin Lin
Geriatrics 30 years experience
Irritable bowel synd: Answer depends upon whether you have constipation-predominant or diarrhea-predominant or mixed. Check out http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/irritable-bowel-syndrome/basics/definition/con-20024578, http://www.webmd.com/ibs/ & http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/180389-overview for more info & treatment options.
Dr.
Various ...: Once a diagnosis of IBS has been made with your Dr there is a range of treatment options. General advice includes regular meals, plenty of fluid, consider 'mindful eating' - taking time to stop, prepare for meals, to eat, chew, notice, enjoy. You can modify your fibre intake. You may consider exploring the option of low FODMAP foods. Medication can be used to manage severe symptoms. http://patient.info/health/irritable-bowel-syndrome-leaflet