Bronx, NY
A 41-year-old female asked:

I have a 16 year son who has autism, he had abnormal ekg but refuse to get further testing. he had a big outburst at the hospital snd became violent.

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Marvin Miller
A Verified Doctoranswered
50 years experience
Family therapy: It is important for the parents to be involved closely in the therapy process when a child has autism. If he does have an abnormal ekg, eeg or other physical problems it is important to get followup testing to check out all posibilities. Your son needs to realize you are open to compromise about timing, situations of the test but he does not have the right to refuse.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral 52 years experience
He needs to see an: Adolescent psychiatrist or developmental/behavioral pediatrician for medications approved by his cardiologist to address his aggressive behaviors, which are probably anxiety-based. Our pediatric cardiologists do a short-term admission to use Ativan (lorazepam) or conscious sedation safely while obtaining an echocardiogram & all other further studies that are needed. His behavior can't preclude medical care.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Apr 25, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.