how do i know if my baby has the flu?

Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Specializes in Pediatrics
Symptom list: The respiratory flu, or influenza, follows what physicians call a constellation of symptoms. This means there is a pattern or list of common symptoms. It includes runny nose, high fever, irritability and cough. A more detailed list is available at the CDC website, but those are the symptoms most frequently seen in children. Testing is available, but is not as reliable as we would like.
Dr. Paul Trani
Specializes in Pediatrics
Fever/Lab Test: The "flu", or influenza, is usually accompanied by a spiking fever that is most often > 101 f. Irritability and fatigue often accompany it as well. Rhinorrhea, cough, body aches, vomiting, and diarrhea all my be part of the symptoms, but some of these may not be present in all children. The best way to know if your child has influenza for certain is if a laboratory test is positive for it.
Dr. Lisa Roberts
High fever with cold: Influenza typically presents itself as the sudden onset of a very high fever (101-104 degrees), severe cold symptoms with runny nose, cough, body aches. Some children will have decreased appetite due to sore throat. If your child is having these symptoms accompanied with difficulty breathing or your baby seems dehydrated (lethargic with decreased wet diapers), contact your doctor.