full thickness acl tear --- most common treatment ?

Dr. John Michalski
Orthopedic Surgery 36 years experience
Complete ACL tear: Consider arthroscopic acl reconstruction. Check with your orthopedic surgeon to coordinate bracing, timing, and rehab.
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management 17 years experience
Depends: If the ACL has not retracted, it may heal on its own, sometimes it does not. When it does not, then physical therapy and braces can be used to strengthen the knee overall. If you are not a very active person this may be just fine, however ACL replacement surgery is an option. If you do not want surgery than stem cell therapy can be used to heal tissues/ligements. Check out Regenexx.Com.
Dr. Scott Graham
Orthopedic Surgery 26 years experience
PT or Surgery: Depending upon your activities and lifestyle, most people will likely undergo surgery to reconstruct the ligament as it will not heal. If you do not do any turning, twisting, or changing direction sports, you may be able to "cope" with a torn ACL and should start with a physical therapy program and possibly a brace.