India

if a person has been diagnosed with complete acl tear and has swelling than for how much days does he need to give rest to the knee and avoid movement and after which he can start the physical treatment?

Dr. David Trettin
Orthopedic Surgery 33 years experience
? Before surgery: If you have torn your ACL and have a hemarthrosis( blood in knee) ; it may be recommended to have your knee aspirated of the blood and for you to regain fairly normal motion in the knee prior to surgery.ACL reconstruction immediately after tearing your ACL can lead to knee stiffness( arthrofibrosis). Regaining motion and strengthening the quads (1-3 weeks)is therefore reccomended prior to surgery.
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Orthopedic Surgery 42 years experience
Physical therapy: You should start physical therapy as soon as possible after the injury, to regain motion and strength.