Why cant i give my baby aspirin?

Dr. Ruben Nazario
Specializes in Pediatrics
No: Aspirin was used for a long time to reduce fever in children, that is until doctors found an association between the use of Aspirin and reye syndrome. This condition happened in children who had the flu and received Aspirin for the fever. Reye syndrome is a potentially fatal illness that affects the brain and the liver. You should not use Aspirin to reduce your baby's fever.
Dr. Kathleen Forcier
Specializes in Pediatrics
No: Although rare, babies with certain viral illnesses who are given Aspirin for fever can develop something called reye syndrome. The symptoms include vomiting, confusion, seziures and can progress to coma and liver failure. So unless your pediatrician specifically told you to give your child aspirin, it's best to stick with Acetaminophen (tylenol) or, at 9 months or older, Ibuprofen (motrin, advil).
Liver failure: In the 60's & 70's a dredfull problem arose in kids with flu or chickenpox who seemed to get better, then lapsed into a coma & died of liver failure. After a link to Aspirin was found we quit giving it to kids unless they had rare illnesses like kawasaki or jra. It hasn't been recomended for kids