The back of my knee hurts when running?

Dr. Bradley Younggren
Emergency Medicine 23 years experience
Knee pain: This can be related to "wear and tear" arthritis, meniscal stress/tears but usually there is a history of trauma, or rarely, especially if there is a mass behind the knee related to a baker's cyst. Stopping running for a short period to see if it resolves can be helpful information. Primary care and/or sports medicine is appropriate if you are a person who really wants to be able to keep running.
Dr. John Kayvanfar
Sports Medicine 47 years experience
You may have imbalance between hamstring;g and quad muscle. Your hamstring needs to be stronger and have more endurance than quads.
Feb 1, 2012
Dr. James Farmer
Sports Medicine 25 years experience
Running Technique: Running injuries are usually a result of faulty biomechanics, technique or training errors. The best technique involves aligning the joints to minimize stress while running. The best resource and description for injury free running is chi running by danny dreyer. Other factors to consider regarding biomechanics include limb alignment, shoes and orthotics. Overtraining can also lead to injury.
Dr. Bradley Younggren
Emergency Medicine 23 years experience
Dr. Gregory Fehr
Emergency Medicine 46 years experience
Knee pain: A possiblilty is a "bakers cyst". If the is a bulge behind you knee, associated with discomfort, see your friendly orthopod.