should i skip the next polio vaccine for my infant if she had a really bad reaction with the first?

Dr. Patricia Vuguin
Not clear: I will discuss with your pediatrician the kind of reaction thta your baby had and decide from there. If you have any question try to contact an infectious disease specialists.
Dr. Zeda Amaya
Specializes in Pediatrics
No; confirm first!: Polio is nearly wiped out of the world but threats of resurgence still exist. Therefore, continued worldwide immunization practices are imperative. Before parents decide not to continue with the recommended shot schedule it is wise to consult the child's provider first and foremost. According to http://www.Cdc.Gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-ipv.Pdf there are just a few contraindications.
Maybe; do ask doctor: If a child has a reaction after a dose of polio vaccine, the parents should talk with the doctor to see whether the reaction was likely from the vaccine or was merely a coincidence. Also, if the reaction was just a larger than usual lump at the injection site, it may or may not happen again. The doctor and parents will decide on a case-by-case basis, whether or not to give the next polio shot.
Dr. Kevin Windisch
No: There are no life threatening side effects from the polio vaccine but there are significant risks from polio.
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Specializes in Pediatrics
No; confirm first!: Discuss the reaction with your doctor and then make your decision. It's likely the reaction was not due to the vaccine. The polio vaccine side effects are mild, but polio is a devastating disease. This is a case where the risk of the disease is much greater than the risk of the vaccine! i would encourage you to vaccinate.
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Infectious Disease 49 years experience
At 2 months of age: Infants receive the first polio immunization along with at least 4 others. How do you know it was the polio vaccine?