Had thyroid cancer 2 years ago. they took out my thyroid and 14 lymph nodes and 1 parathyroid. should i be worried about x rays?

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Helmy Guirgis answered

Specializes in Hematology and Oncology

More information?: You certainly need follow-up. Blood testing including calcium..Thyroglobulin, tsh.., thyoid scans.. What type of thyroid cancer? Pathology? Removing the whole throid and 13 lymph nodes indicate that it was not just limited to one lobe...Knowing your disease, stage and follow-up are important steps to beat cancer. Discuss with your oncologist.

Answered 5/23/2013

5.2k views

Dr. Peter Mowschenson answered

Specializes in General Surgery

Not necessarily: I think you are referring to radiation and the risk of thyroid cancer. You thyroid is gone so no risk to that but radiation in general can be harmful to other organs so only have radiology if necessary.

Answered 11/5/2013

4.9k views