A 27-year-old female asked about a female:

my daughter has hydronephrosis. no reflux, no obstruction. what can cause this?

Dr. Oscar Novick
Hydronephrosis: You daughter could have been born with it or has had repeated urinary infections. See a pediatric urologist for help.
Dr. Benjamin Whittam
Pediatric Urology 15 years experience
Nothing serious: Hydronephrosis can be caused by obstruction or reflux but also can be normal or not a serious problem (usually low grade hydronephrosis). Your doctor has ruled out all the worrisome things (reflux or blockage). Is your daughter potty trained? Young children often hold their urine too long and this can cause mild hydronephrosis. Have her pee every 2 hours and make sure she isn't constipated.
Dr. George Klauber
Specializes in Pediatric Urology
Agree with Dr. Whittam. We sometimes see mild hyronephrosis in children with with severe constipation and stool impaction. There is also a rare condition known as Congenital Megacalycois which can be miss labelled as hydronephrosis. The kidney calyces are dilated in absence of obstruction or reflux. Subjects are at increased risk of kidney stones &/or infection due to urinary stasis. There is no indication for corrective surgery for this condition.
Apr 25, 2013