My daughter is almost 8 months and diagnosed with moderate to severe sleep apnea. she is on prevacid (lansoprazole) for acid reflux is this the cause of the apnea?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 37 years experience
Very unusual: If i understand this correctly your eight month old child has significant sleep apnea. This is very unusual but can sometimes occur in the face of enlarged adenoids and tonsils. Reflux can always make things worse, but reflux by itself usually will not cause such significant apnea. If you have not already taken your child to a pediatric ENT doctor you should.
Dr. James Donley
Dentistry 54 years experience
My understanding is that sleep apnea can result in acid reflux due to the negative pressures in the airway that are associated with attempts to breath that are inhibited by an obstruction. If tonsils are involved a pediatric ENT consult is definitely needed.
Aug 22, 2012

Last updated Sep 28, 2016