Dublin, OH

Painful cyst in left knee adjacent to posterior horn of medial meniscus. no meniscus tear (confirmed via mri & arthroscopy). treatment options?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery 50 years experience
Two options: 1-injection of steroid in the cyst with attempt to empty it the same time. 2-excision of the cyst. I would prefer the excision because they send to pathology and see what is it.
Dr. Tariq Niazi
Orthopedic Surgery 44 years experience
See below:: Most cysts in the back of the knee are due to knee joint causes, which improve as the causes is treated. So my recommendations would be: 1: do nothing except maybe pain meds, for 3 months; if no improvement, then; 2: aspiration (removing fluid) under ultrasonic guidance for fluid/needle biopsy; or; 3: removal of the cyst through the back of the knee, to get tissue for biopsy.
Dr. Rick Pospisil
Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
May also consider repeat MRI with dye using a high resolution MRI machine ,as some MRIs without dye appear normal when they aren't,
Dec 10, 2015
Last updated Sep 23, 2017