United Arab Emirates
A 31-year-old male asked:

Knee pain and mri report found that. horizontal tear in posterior horn and body of medial meniscus. what is that mean & what treatment we should take?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mark Hutchinson
Orthopedic Surgery 36 years experience
Arthroscopy?: Next step depends more on clinical exam than the mri; nonetheless assuming you have joint line pain, clicking, and failed a period of rest and medications, the arthroscopy with partial meniscectomy is helpful in a majority of cases.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Frederick Buechel, Jr. MD
Orthopedic Surgery 22 years experience
Watch or scope: If it hurts and your struggling with certain movements that cause pain, then fix it. If it has settled down and doesnt hurt now then you can delay fixing it until it hurts or restricts motion. Thats my decision tree.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Rick Pospisil
Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
Does the knee swell, lock or give way ? If so find an experienced knee surgeon to be treated surgically. In a young patient this is the best chance to have the best recovery and Minimize any further knee damage
Dec 10, 2015
Last updated Jan 17, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.