U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 31-year-old female asked:

I have had a problem with talking.a total different sentence will come out or i will just mumble. i have been very forgetful lately. a problem with my short term memory. losing my keys. i dont know what is wrong. but it is getting worse?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Donald Colantino
Internal Medicine 63 years experience
If you or your family or friends have noticed these issues, an evaluation of cognitive function by a neurologist or mental health professional is warranted. A simple screening test isn't sufficient. Sometimes depression, medications or substance abuse is the cause rather than true cognitive loss. See your MD who will advise & probably refer you to the specialist.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Bennett Machanic
Neurology 54 years experience
Although many underlying problems can cause your symptoms, a neurologist could sort out such entities as a sleep disorder, the migraine syndrome of dysphrenia hemicrania transitoria, partial complex seizures, metabolic imbalance, drug/ medication issues, and vitamin deficiencies. A psychiatric consultation would be in order if neurological diagnoses are not present.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 26, 2022


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.