MI

I wear contacts that are -1.25 because i have trouble seeing faces/things clearly when they are 10+ feet away. but, 3/4 of my workday is working on a computer screen that is close up. am i making my eyes worse by wearing my contacts all day?

Pathology 51 years experience
It is unlikely that wearing contacts is making your eyes worse. It would help to look away from the screen, even for a few seconds, every 10-15 minutes. If you have other symptoms, it would be prudent to consult an ophthalmologist. Wish you good health!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. David Chandler
Ophthalmology 31 years experience
At age 22 there is a large amount of focusing ability so eye strain from doing computer work all day should not be a problem. However, if you do not wear the contacts, you would not have to focus much at all because of your natural nearsightedness. Either option is fine. One disadvantage of lens use is that long term computer use may be drying to the eyes, so you could consider using OTC tears.
Last updated Sep 15, 2022