Chester, VA
A 31-year-old male asked about a female:

My 1 year old daughter ate some plastic wrapper 5 days ago. she coughed a few times, but then she was fine. she is acting normal. a piece did pass in her stool, but there is another small piece that i havent seen yet. is it possible she inhaled it?

I wouldn't think so. Any foreign material inhaled into the lungs will trigger a natural cough reflex until the material is expelled. Were it to escape this reflex it would still trigger random spasms of coughing for days.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 37 years experience
It is not likely that she aspirated the other plastic wrapper without symptoms, but this may occur and then presents later with pneumonia. In many instances the lung defenses wall off and remove an aspirated foreign body, without further consequences. Did she choke during this episode? Watch for signs of distress, prolonged cough and fever. A virtual consult with Healthtap is available
Last updated Apr 3, 2022