SC

Recently had a abdominal ct scan done and when i got my results back i noticed where it gives a description of my kidneys it states symmetric renal enhancement. what does this mean? it does not state if its bilateral or unilateral?

Dr. John Berryman
"Symmetric" refers to the appearance of both kidneys (i.e., bilateral).
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Hiep Le
Dr. Hiep Leanswered
Nephrology and Dialysis 43 years experience
You had a CT scan with IV contrast (dye) so the dye was excreted by both kidneys. Symmetric renal enhancement means the dye was equally excreted by both kidneys and that is a good finding. The term "enhancement" is used when the dye lights up the excretory components of the kidney.
Last updated Feb 19, 2022