U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 47-year-old male asked:

87 year old male moderate amount of fluid build up in lungs. hospital suggesting to do procedure to take it out in radiology dept. probably thoracentesis. is it okay to do or follow up with pulmonary or ent?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Clarence Grim
Endocrinology 59 years experience
We do not know him. Consult with local team.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Hiep Le
Dr. Hiep Leanswered
Nephrology and Dialysis 44 years experience
I think I answered your question previously. If the etiology of pleural effusion is undefined and the effusion is moderate, thoracentesis is indicated, especially if patient is symptomatic. Thoracentesis is nowadays performed by radiologist with ultrasound guidance and it is safe. Radiologist will refuse to do it if the fluid is not big enough. Please trust your doctor and good luck to you.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

Last updated Nov 12, 2021

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $19/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.