NC

I fell and landed on my lower left side and my 7 n 8 rib is cracked, lower back bruised, n still feel the pain straight thru, its 4 weeks now n i get sharp pains when i cough or sneeze, behind my left breast? i'm worried thank you?

Dr. Hiep Le
Dr. Hiep Leanswered
Nephrology and Dialysis 44 years experience
Pain is likely still due to the fractured ribs, i.e. rib cage pain, it is not over yet. The worst case, splinting reflex from thorax pain may cause atelectasis of the lung which leads to pneumonia; in that case fever will occur besides the pleuritic chest pain. However, I doubt this latter scenario.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Donald Colantino
It may take up to 12 weeks for rib fractures to fully heal. We no longer recommend strapping the chest to control the pain as it restricts lung expansion which could lead to pneumonia. When you are going to cough or sneeze, temporarily brace your rib cage. You have a way to go for rib cage pain to resolve. As long as you have no symptoms or signs of lung involvement, sit tight. See your MD as need
Last updated Nov 6, 2021