San Jose, CA

Had something happen when i was younger. i had an enlarged heart but it only affected my sleeping and breathing at night, as i had to take breathing treatments for it. what could that condition have been? as it is still a mystery to me?

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 37 years experience
You may have been diagnosed with asthma which is common during childhood. A follow up to review any current symptoms is recommended. A cardiac condition which caused enlargement of your heart should be assessed by your Cardiologist. An echo may be indicated. Watch for signs of respiratory distress, shortness of breath and a COVID 19 vaccine is recommended. A virtual consult with Healthtap is avail
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Donald Colantino
I fully agree that a cardiologist is best to assess your cardiac status and determine the cause of your breathing problems when you're sleeping. You may have been born with congenital heart disorder or had a viral infection that affected and weakened your heart muscle. The heart works harder when you're lying down as compared to sitting upright.
Last updated Oct 11, 2021