U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 23-year-old male asked:

I have trouble sleeping at night. my partner says that i twitch and wake up jolting, like my heart or breathing has stopped.i have asthma and i have been told that i have a murmur.what should i do?

3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bennett Machanic
Neurology 53 years experience
Sleep disorder: Number one thought is "sleep apnea", but maybe you also have periodic limb movements in sleep, a variant of restless leg syndrome. An overnight sleep latency study could be highly diagnostic.
Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 58 years experience
Sleep study: Looks like you may have both restless leg syndrome and sleep apnea. A sleep study is in order.
Dr. Ravi Chand
Psychiatry 27 years experience
Sleep: Movements in sleep could be due to interrupted sleep due to sleep apnea, rem sleep disorder, sleep study would be good to understand sleep architecture, heart rate, breathing, sleep apnea, leg movements etc.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Aug 14, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.