U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 32-year-old female asked:

I have hypothyroidism. elevated tsh. normal t3 and t4. antibody test was negative. endocrinologist still refers to it as hashimotos and says that's "most likely" the cause. why would that be if i have no antibodies?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Clarence Grim
Endocrinology 58 years experience
There are several antibody tests than can be done. You did not me mention which ones were tested10% May have no antibodies. Discuss with your Dr and you may wish to look at Uptodate.com for more Details. But will cost you $20 for a months access. Nothing is 100% in medicine except dying. ;-). Dr humor!
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 50 years experience
It is not relevant what the label is . You have hypothyroidism and need to take replacement medication. TSH is the best test to test for adequacy of replacement medication.
Last updated Oct 8, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.