NY

I have hypothyroidism. elevated tsh. normal t3 and t4. antibody test was negative. endocrinologist still refers to it as hashimotos and says that's "most likely" the cause. why would that be if i have no antibodies?

Dr. Clarence Grim
Endocrinology 58 years experience
There are several antibody tests than can be done. You did not me mention which ones were tested10% May have no antibodies. Discuss with your Dr and you may wish to look at Uptodate.com for more Details. But will cost you $20 for a months access. Nothing is 100% in medicine except dying. ;-). Dr humor!
Pathology 50 years experience
It is not relevant what the label is . You have hypothyroidism and need to take replacement medication. TSH is the best test to test for adequacy of replacement medication.
Last updated Oct 8, 2021