U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Pampa, TX
A 41-year-old female asked:

Ct scan of pelvis- l5/s1 degenerative disc disease with loss of disc height, vacuum phenomena, endplate sclerosis and anterior bridging osteophytes. i have tremendous back pain, time to see a back specialist?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 51 years experience
Start with your primary care provided. The radiology findings may or may not be related to your back pain. It is not feasible to provide a meaningful opinion without examining you. Regular aerobic exercise will help by improving strength and flexibility of your muscles. Any exercise for 30 minutes will do that makes you sweat. Wish you good health!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Bennett Machanic
Neurology 54 years experience
Your post does not mention any factors raising critical need for surgery. Would suggest you see a physiatrist and engage in conservative interventions. You might be a candidate for injections. Stretching and exercises, especially McKenzie back exercises would be useful.. Swimming has helped many with chronic low back pain.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Aug 4, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.