Floresville, TX

what does high ast of 129 mean?

Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 28 years experience
Liver is in trouble: The ast enzyme is one of the main liver enzymes used to monitor liver health. A level of 129 is most likely four times the normal and represents a very stressed liver that may be in trouble. The source of the damage that is occurring in this liver needs to be identified soon so that resolving the problem can be undertaken.
Dr. Amy Deeken
Pathology 20 years experience
Liver damage: Ast is an enzyme found in liver, heart, brain, skeletal muscle, and red blood cells. When there is damage to any of these types of cells, ast is released into the blood and causes elevation of the normal levels. The most common cause of elevation is liver damage which can be due to many different disease processes.