India

3 months ago my brother had a bile duct obstruction caused by a gallstone so 25 days later he was treated with ercp and the stone was extracted. he had no past issues with liver. my only question is, will choledocholithiasis cause liver cirrhosis?

Dr. David Ellis
If a gallstone becomes stuck in either the duct leading from the gallbladder or the common bile duct which is further away from the gallbladder, the obstruction can cause damage to the liver and also possibly the pancreas. If the stone is removed and flow is returned then usually there is no ongoing damage to the liver or the pancreas. This is why it is important to have gallstones evaluated.