i have red spots on my tongue what does that mean?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
I don't know...: It may or may not be normal. Without being able to see it or having more information, we can't give you an accurate answer. If you show it to your dentist, he or she can tell you.
Dr. Mark Collins
Prosthodontics 24 years experience
Red Spots: Do the sposts hurt or not. Perhaps the are due to an allergy or medication. It could be a autoimmune disease. The only way to diagnose is to see the spots and the symptoms. In the mean time stay away from spicy food and check toothpast, rinse and food for allergies.
Dr. William Jakavick
Cosmetic Dentistry 37 years experience
Red spots on tongue: There are many things that could be causing this, the differential would include vit B12 deficiency, asthma, digestive disorder, stds, trauma to the tongue, scarlet fever, cancer, excessive alcohol intake, excessive spicy foods... Without more of a history it is impossible to say which it is. I would suggest you see your dr for an evaluation and some history and blood work.