Australia

Do roundworms have to be ingested via the mouth first to affect the eyes? can i directly infect my eyes with parasitic worms by touching my pet/fecal matter then touching my eyes?

Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Parkanswered
Toxocara canis (dog round worm) worms live in the intestinal tract of puppies and their lactating mothers. Large numbers of eggs passed in the feces and embryonated in soil. Humans ingest embryonated eggs in contaminated soils. Once ingested, the larvae hatch and penetrate intestinal wall and travel via circulation to the eye. Not a direct infection by the worm.

Last updated Apr 16, 2021