Canada

i 'm alcoholic drinking daily for years. liver was tested recently, and the results suggest i am a non-drinker - so it's not my liver. for the last 2 days, my urine has been dark, cloudy and very heavy. i drink a lot of water. any suggestions?

Dr. Lauren Bickel
Specializes in Family Medicine
If the liver tests you mean were blood tests: those are often elevated when one drinks a lot of alcohol, but when the liver has been damaged long term, those blood tests can go back to normal & only a biopsy or possibly an ultrasound can tell about the long term damage . But the urine changes could also indicate dehydration or infection
Dr. Hiep Le
Dr. Hiep Leanswered
Nephrology and Dialysis 42 years experience
Abnormal urine look may be caused by many other causes besides liver disease which is ruled out by your statement and you are not dehydrated either. Do you take any new medication recently? Basic blood and urine tests may be necessary to give you an accurate answer.