U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Wake Forest, NC
A 55-year-old female asked:

Optometrist had been monitoring my eye pressure . it had been around 22 andnow went to 28 today at my annual eye exam. said glaucoma? no one in my family has it and i have no symptoms why? now eyedrops any alternatives? wear glasses and contacts. :?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics 47 years experience
I would see an ophthalmologist for confirmation and treatment if it is needed. They can explain the alternatives you have available after a proper exam.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Padmashri Rastogi
Internal Medicine 38 years experience
Pressure should be rechecked. Field of vision testing will help. Yes drops will be prescribed by the ophthalmologist depending on open angle or closed angle glaucoma. It is also possible to change medications if you are taking to change eye pressure. So there are so many good options available to you with a visit to an ophthalmologist. Good luck. Hope it helps.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Apr 9, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.