ZA

My thumb has been numb for the past 3 days and nowmy index finger is also numb. 12 years ago i had radial nerve damage and lost the function of my right hand but with therapy i got it back. not sure if the numbness is related but is this concern?

Dr. Jerome Zacks
Cardiology 52 years experience
The thumb and index finger are innervated by the radial nerve; therefore, one should suspect it's related to the prior radial nerve damage. It merits a visit to ones neurologist for an evaluation.
Dr. Jerome Zacks
Cardiology 52 years experience
Provided original answer
Actually, the nerve supply to the thumb and forefinger involves branches of both, the median nerve and the radial nerve.
Mar 20, 2021
Neurology 53 years experience
The numbness corresponds to the distribution of the median nerve, and raises question of carpal tunnel syndrome. Have your doctor evaluate. An EMG/ NCV study might well be indicated to confirm. Hard to relate to prior problem but the testing of nerves will sort out.

Last updated Mar 22, 2021